Very difficult, Training and fitness required
Ski touring experience required
1-4 people per guide
August -September- October
We will drive early in the morning from El Chaltén to Lago Del Desierto , located at 38 km (24 miles) North distance.
2 Miles before the end of the road, we will park and start our ascent trough a steep forest of Lengas following a creek.
The approach to the snow takes about 1 hour ( usually snow starts at the end of the tree line ). We´ll continue the ascent skinning and choose one of the shoulders of the Mountain according to the snow conditions, If there is time and energy is possible to do the South and North Shoulder.
Excellent views of Vespignani and Fitz Roy in the distance, skiing very close to Crestón Glacier!
With no doubt Cerro Crestón is one of the favourite options for ski touring at El Chaltén.
We will descent by the same trail and drive back to El Chaltén in the Afternoon.
Note: The Itinerary can be modified and should be considered only as a guide. External factors such us the conditions of the snow or weather conditions could change the original plan, and your Guides will have the criteria to change the program if they consider is necessary.
• Transportation from El Chalten
• Mountain Guide UIAGM - IFMGA ( 5 days)
• Technical equipment for Glaciers: Crampons, harnesses, ropes, etc.
• First Aid Kit
• Radio or Satellite communication
• Personal Equipment (see packing list below)
• Transportation from El Calafate
• Services not specified
• Personal accidents & rescue Insurance (Mandatory)
• 40 to 60 l backpack
• 30/35 liter Backpacks
• Head lamp
• Water bottle and small thermo flask
• Trekking shoes
• Merino or synthetic base layers
• Mid layer Fleece and wind stopper
• Down or synthetic hooded jacket
• 2 pairs of gloves
• Warm hut and buff
• Extra socks
• Waterproof pants and Jacket ( Gore-Tex)
• Lens and goggles
• Sun bloc & lip protection
• Ski touring set: Ski touring skis, skins, ski crampons, touring boots, and poles.
• Safety set: Shovel, beacon, probe*
Note: The items marked * could be rented at El Chaltén.
Please make sure you have all requested equipment, let us konw if you need advice for buying or renting